Friday 31 March 2017

A stroll in Arashiyama and last minute shopping

Fresh from the sights of Nara we headed west of Kyoto to see the work of nature this time. The experience of light rain falling while walking int he bamboo grove of Arashiyama was new, and it was very nostalgic and also reminded me of a certain martial art movie full of sadness.




We found a man-made light forest with paved road where couple would take photos with the pousse-pousse, but we also walked in the bamboo grove itself. This is what comes to my mind when I hear Arashiyama. Those tall green bamboo trees work wonders in my happy place and memory palace, and the sound of the leaves making white noises.
 Arashiyama
What attracted us to this grove?
Rain from green bamboo


Out in the open, with all the shops ready to swallow me and my bank account, I devoured each trinkets with my eyes and heart, probably ate a snack or two (matcha rolled cake here?), queued to enter the Yojiya shop to see and acquired  oil-blotting paper (aburatorigami) and other rice powder face products (no toothbrushes).

As much as the forest brought me peace and settled my memory, the whirlwind and bustling of the shopping experience made for instant gratification and memorable purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment